Thursday, July 17, 2008

Hiplife in the making...

One of the things that I am doing in Ghana is documenting the hip life/hip hop scene here in Ghana. When a re-do my website you will be able to hear the music and experience more of my photos.. Also look out for my articles in the magazines...more to come.

Yesterday I interviewed and photographed a huge Ghanaian hip life artist, Samini, during his studio session. The music that I heard during the session sounded great. It sounds a little like Reggae but the core is definitely West African. Hip life is form of "youth music" started here in Ghana just about twenty years ago.

Here is a pic of Samini in the studio with his producer (Zapp), manager,and some other peeps. They are listening to the song that he just finished recording.

Here is a pic of hiplife/hip-hop media master, radio host,mc, manager, and rising entrepreneur , Van Souljah. Souljah has been extremely instrumental in hooking me up with all of the pertinent hip life/hip hop artists here in Ghana. Much respect Van!

No comments: